What to do when you suspect your child has been sexually assaulted

There is no easy way to tackle the subject of sexual abuse, whether it happens to an adult or to a child. It is more than just a touchy subject. Any indecency with a child by contact is a crime and should be addressed immediately.



indecency with a child by contact



The question is, if you suspect that your child has been sexually abused, how do you approach such a subject with them? Is there any way you can tell just by looking at a minor whether they have been a victim of such a crime? What should you do if the signs do show that your child has been the victim of sexual abuse?


How to tell if a child has been the victim of sexual abuse


There are many signs that show whether a child has been sexually abused. These include:


  • Behavioral changes – Signs include withdrawal from close friends and family members, regressive behavior, hygienic changes, and weird sexual behaviors for a child. If there has been some indecency with a child by contact, they may also act threatened when someone touches them.
  • Verbal signs – When a child suddenly talks like a grown-up or uses phrases that are inappropriate for their age, it can be a sign of sexual abuse. Suddenly being too quiet or clamming up around certain individuals can also be a sign of this abuse.
  • Physical indicators – These are more difficult to detect unless the child complains about it. If a child tells you their genitals hurt or you notice blood on their underwear, you should start investigating.


What to do when you believe your child is a victim of sexual abuse


When the signs indicate that a child has been abused, whether it has happened only once or there is continuous sexual abuse of a child, you need to get in touch with the authorities immediately. You can try to talk to your child about what happened to get to the bottom of things and to confirm your suspicions. This has to be done carefully however, to avoid traumatizing the child further. Visit Paul Schiffer Law to learn more.


Suspecting indecency with a child by contact and finding out that it did happen can be very traumatizing for you as a parent as well. This is because it will leave you with feelings of guilt for not being able to protect your child. Remember, there is no right reaction or way to feel about this. A crime has been perpetrated, and you will need to be there for your child now more than ever.


Whether what happened is an aggravated sexual assault violent offense or one where a child was asked to do sexual favors for gifts, it all boils down to one thing–they were sexually assaulted. The only way to deal with this is to find a lawyer to handle your case and to help you get the justice your child deserves.


If you live in Houston, Texas, you should look for a lawyer that has handled such cases before. You should hire an aggravated sexual assault lawyer Houston residents trust with such cases. One such firm that can help you with a child sexual assault case is the Law Office of Paul Schiffer. Visit their https://paulschifferlaw.com/sex-crimes-defense/child-indecency-contact/ and fill out their contact form to find out what you should do and to get a free case evaluation.



I am based in Paris, France. Contact me for freelance and collaborative opportunities.